Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Baby Shoes


The clearance rack way  back
near the restrooms
is filled with mismatched shoes.
The worn display right foot  
the pristine boxed left shoe
shoes who’ve lost their mates
under some coatrack
and the odd sizes
rejected by parents
‘because kids grow so damned fast these days,
it ain’t worth buying shoes that fit.
Just size em up.’

I browse the rack of toddler shoes
white cowboy boots
faux patent leather mary janes
complete with taps
light up sneakers.

I slide my hands into the sneakers,
dance them along the shelf, the side bar,
bins of public domain DVDs
wishing I could make
starlight
with my feet.

And there it is! A pair of
purple fringed sandals
double buckles
and a pale yellow flower
over the big toe
like a gaudy cocktail ring.

They are size 11.

I imagine them on my baby’s feet,
her painted toenails wearing
That Big Yellow Flower.
They even have glitter.

Every little girl wants
purple glitter
double buckle
yellow flower
fringed sandals.

Every mommy wants to see her baby in
purple glitter
double buckle
yellow flower
fringed sandals
with tiny green and pink toenails glowing.

I take them out to Long Island
and leave them on aisle seven
instead of a pebble.

No comments: